I have always thought of virtualisation as the “next big thing” since early ages. But at the time, I was too busy with Cisco/Juniper certs … Clearly it is not a next thing anymore … it has been here, with us, and I believe it is likely to stay for long time to come.
But the 1st time I really got to be responsible for the company’s virtual infrastructure was 4 years ago as I got promoted, from NOC to the Field Ops department (pretty much network design/provisioning) – I had to deploy it, manage it and support it. And I have to say, this was going quite nicely hand-in-hand with my networking skills – I loved it!
Few months passed and I decided to move on into contracting. Just in good time as the company was disposing off some of the HP DL 380 G4 servers. I took four home and built my own VMware lab and in 1.5 months, I passed the VCP5 exam, while practicing on VMware 4.x line of products. But, to be officially certified, had to sit on the VMware course – and this is very expensive thing to do!
Contracting has been going ok so far – got the funds and decided to, at last, sit the Fast Track course which was brilliant! The course was so good that I decided to lower throttle down on the CCIE track and do VCAP-DCA as well.
Going forward, I will start building my virtual lab which I could use for my VCAP studies:
- The Physical Server & Logical Topology
- Installing ESXi on the Physical Server
- The Basic/Core vSphere Components
- vSphere and DNS – Part I – Introduction
- vSphere and DNS – Part II – Configuration
- Installing vCenter Server on Windows
- vSphere Authentication (SSO – Signle Sign-On)
- The Networking Side Part I – Background
- The Networking Side Part II – The Hosting Infrastructure
- The Networking Side Part III – The VCAP-LAB
- ESXi Installation Types
- Installing ESXi – Interactive Installation
- Configuring Logging
- Setting Up External Storage – Part I – The Basics
- Setting Up External Storage – Part II – iSCSI on FreeNAS
- Setting Up External Storage – Part III – NFS on FreeNAS
- Resource Management (work in progress …)
- Fundamentals Concepts
- Resource Pools
- Memory – Part I
- Memory – Part II
- Memory – Part III
- TShooting / esxtop Command